Have you ever experienced an itchy scalp after getting braids, twists or any style with synthetic hair extensions? I have, and I learned that the cause may be the alkaline base coating placed on the fibers during manufacturing.
How to Remove the Coating From the Synthetic Hair
Fill your sink with hot (or lukewarm) water
- Measure out about 1 cup of vinegar. (I used apple cider vinegar for this tutorial.)
- Pour vinegar into the water.
- Submerge the synthetic hair into the water.
- Let the hair sit in the water for at least 15 minutes (or more)
(Note: You will notice the white film in the water. Thats the alkaline coating. Yuck!)
- Drain the water from the sink
- Refill the sink with warm water.
- Add a cap full of shampoo to the water.
- Swish around for about a minute or two.
- Drain the water. Rinse the hair thoroughly with water until all the shampoo is gone.
- Take about a dime to nickel size of any carrier oil and smooth it over the hair before hanging to dry over night.
- Use the hair as you normally would.
I hope this helps.