Imani Joy Natural -A Beginner’s Guide to Making Products for Natural Hair by Jamesha Bazemore
Converting percentages to ounces.
Multiply the percentage of the ingredient times ounces.
Example: This recipe calls for 70% water, so .70*8 = 5.6 ounces
70% Distilled Water (*Note: An additional 10% of water is added to account for evaporation.)
17.5% Aloe Vera Gel or Coconut Water
10% Carrier Oil
3.5% Cetyl Alcohol
1% Peppermint Essential Oil
1% Optphen (http://www.brambleberry.com/Optiphen-P3682.aspx) (*Note: Follow Manufacturers Recommendations. If the percentage of the preservative is recommended then take a percentage of water water.)
- (Phase A) Heat your liquid to 150F degrees
- (Phase B) Place all ingredients into a glass bowl. Utilizing the double boiler method gently heat to 150F degrees.
- Add Phase A to Phase B. MIX WELL. (May I suggest an electric blender – http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-Blender-Brushed/dp/B00ARQVM5O )
- Blend mixture until cool.
- Add Essential Oil
- Add preservative based on manufacturers recommendation.
More recipes like this and great information on ingredients, vendors, etc. visit http://bit.ly/1Urk4oj to purchase and download my recipe book. You will receive the companion calculator after you have purchased your book. All recipes have been downloaded to the calculator and will convert the measurements for you based on the percentages and the yielded amount.